Teacher of Students with Moderate Cognitive Impairments (MoCI) in Transition Program (students age 18-26)
NOTICE OF FULL-TIME POSITION OPENING
November 9, 2023
TITLE Teacher of Students with Moderate Cognitive Impairments (MoCI) in Transition Program (students age 18-26)
DATE OF POSITION OPENING On or about November 6, 2023
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION The individual selected for this position will be responsible for instructional services for eligible students.
- Teach and safely care for students with moderate cognitive impairments in center-based classroom and community
- Develop, implement, and monitor for effectiveness, transition activities and services to prepare students with disabilities for post-secondary transition to the real world of employment, education/training, and independent living.
- Work collaboratively with the WMISD Transition Coordinator to carry out the vision for the overall Transition Program and set up and monitor job sites for student work experiences.
- Adhere to all work-based learning requirements and regulations by LARA, MDE Pupil Accounting, and fair and equitable labor practices in order to ensure student safety and benefit in all pre-employment activities.
- Plan and prepare lessons specific to the IEP following the Unique Learning Systems (ULS) or curriculum assigned by the Supervisor using appropriate assessments.
- Provide and supervise the instruction and activities of those students assigned, while working cooperatively with classroom Paraprofessionals, other ISD, and building classroom and itinerant staff members.
- Ability to lift and position students as directed by PT/OT staff, if necessary.
- Communicate clearly and regularly with parents on student activities and progress.
- Keep appropriate records and correctly follow required district building procedures.
- Be familiar and appropriately use a variety of adaptive technology and augmentative communication devices.
- Schedule and attend IEP meetings and other related meetings in a timely manner.
- Complete all forms and reports in a timely manner consistent with ISD policies and procedures.
- Keep up to date in areas related to the profession.
- Implement best practice strategies to differentiate instruction.
- Follow best practices and processes to develop and implement positive behavior support plans.
- Collaboratively develop and implement student health plans and protocols with the school nurse and other school staff members.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisory staff members.
- Full or temporary Michigan Department of Education certification approval in Special Education: Cognitive (Mental) Impairments or be willing to enroll in a program to add this endorsement to current special education teacher certification. If you don’t have a CI Endorsement but are willing to enroll in a program to add this endorsement, there may be alternative paths to certification available and funding assistance.
- Able to independently lift 50 pounds.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working with adult students with special needs is preferred.
- Experience in supporting adults with disabilities in an employment setting preferred.
- Ability to pass criminal history background check and drug screen.
WAGES AND BENEFITS According to the WMISD Professional Federation Association contract
HOURS TO BE WORKED 7.5 hours daily
CALENDAR Professional staff school year
WMISD may offer the following incentives to the successful candidate:
- Three insurance package options, including one that is free to cover the employee and the entire family
- Tuition reimbursement towards credentials & continuing education related to the scope of work
APPLICATION PROCEDURE Qualified applicants must submit:
- Application (online by going to the WMISD Website https://wmisd.org/job-postings/)
- Cover letter
- Copy of college or university transcripts
- Copy of license and/or certifications
- Three letters of reference from individuals familiar with the candidate’s work experience and abilities
Please email application materials in one PDF to:
Trina Scott, Human Resources Assistant
For questions specific to this position, please contact:
Kaitlynd Michell, Special Education Supervisor
APPLICATION DEADLINE November 27, 2023, at 3:00 pm, or until filled